Frequently Asked Questions

Are there specific requirements for liquid waste hauling trucks?
In general, trucks must be in good condition and free of leaks, be safe to operate, and must be operated by staff familiar with basic sanitary principles. Operators must arrange for disposal at approved disposal facilities and may be required to manifest their pick-up and disposal locations. Click here to see the basic checklist.
Do I need to register if I only collect kitchen grease?
Yes and no. If you collect “yellow” kitchen grease from bins and barrels not connected to sewer, then no. However, if you collect “inedible kitchen grease” (IKG) from grease interceptors and traps connected to sewer then registration is required as a component of our F.O.G. (fats, oils, and grease) program. Regardless, of the type of grease you collect, a current hauler/renderer permit form the California Department of Food and Agriculture is required and can be obtained by visiting their website: California Department of Food & Agriculture.
How do I get a permit to offload waste at the Orange County Sanitation District?
You must obtain a separate disposal permit from the Orange County Sanitation District.
How do I register a liquid waste hauling vehicle?
Registration is simple and requires you to complete an Application for Liquid Waste Hauler, have your vehicle(s) inspected by this Agency, and pay the current registration fee in effect. Once registered, a decal will be issued and your company can be added to our Registered Liquid Waste Hauler Listing as an option. Click here for an application.
What is the difference between hazardous and nonhazardous liquid wastes?
Hazardous liquid waste is a class of waste that can have toxic or explosive qualities that requires special licensing and disposal procedures. In contrast, nonhazardous liquid waste is biodegradable waste that requires proper disposal and caution when handling, but carries less regulatory oversight.
What types of nonhazardous liquid waste hauling requires registration?
Registration is required if you commercially collect or dispose of waste from any of the following facilities: 
  • Septic tanks, cesspools, temporary sewage holding tanks, and all related facilities.
  • Sewage transfer stations.
  • Portable chemical toilets and trailers.
  • RV and boat holding tanks.
  • Grease interceptors and grease traps connected to sewer.
  • Sewer pipelines and related facilities.
  • Clarifiers connected to sewer.
Where can I dispose of nonhazardous liquid waste in Orange County?
Unless under special permit for grease recycling or rendering, the only commercial disposal site for nonhazardous liquid waste in the County of Orange is at the Orange County Sanitation District’s Treatment Plant #1 located in Fountain Valley.
Who is required to register their liquid waste hauling trucks?
Anyone who operates a commercial business that collects or disposes of nonhazardous liquid waste within the County of Orange must register with this Agency. The only exemption allowed is for government agencies, such as sewer agencies, or for private parties that have a dump location approved by this Agency.
Why can’t I just offload to a manhole if it all goes to a treatment plant anyway?
Discharges to the sewer must be carefully monitored to protect treatment plant operations and sewer infrastructure from deterioration caused by chemically imbalanced loads. In addition, you could be held liable for an unauthorized discharge which causes a sanitary sewer overflow to the environment or jeopardizes the safety of sewer workers that may be working downstream of a manhole you’re offloading to.
Why is registration needed?
Nonhazardous liquid waste, such as human excreta, can create a public health hazard and nuisance when improperly handled or disposed. Registration provides this Agency with the necessary means to protect public health and the environment from improper handling and illegal discharges.
Show all Categories