Compact Mobile Food Operations
Effective January 1, 2023, changes made to the California Retail Food Code establish a new type of retail food facility called a "Compact Mobile Food Operation" (CMFO). CMFOs may include individuals, pushcarts, stands, displays, wagons, etc. CMFOs may only sell prepackaged foods, whole uncut produce, or food with limited food preparation.
- Health permit required*
- Plan review required*
- Commissary required - The commissary can either be a permitted food facility or a permitted Cottage Food Operation. A Cottage Food Operation can serve as a commissary for a maximum of 2 CMFOs.
- Warewashing and Handwashing equipment required for permitted CMFOs
- Food Handler Cards required
- Potentially hazardous food prepared at an approved facility and served from a CMFO shall be destroyed at the end of the operating day
- Routine inspections required*
- Permit fees may apply
*Exemptions: Health permits, plan review and routine inspections may not apply for CMFOs that have less than 25 square feet of display space AND sell only non-potentially hazardous prepackaged food or whole, uncut produce.