If your child was born in a hospital, the birth will automatically be registered. If your child was born at home or outside of a hospital setting, you must register the birth at the Office of Vital Records. Registration is completed by appointment only. Our office can register the birth if it took place within 1 year of the date of birth. Out of Hospital Births that took place more than 1 year from the date of birth will need to be registered with the California Department of Public Health Vital Records Section as a Delayed Registration of Birth (CDPH Delayed Registration of Birth Instruction) or court ordered delayed registration of birth (CDPH Court Ordered Delayed Registration of Birth Instructions).
How to register an Out of Hospital Birth at the Office of Vital Records:
1. Review and complete the Out of Hospital Birth Instructions Packet (CDPH Out of Hospital Birth Pamphlet)
2. Review and complete the Out of Hospital Birth Checklist with list of instructions (Out of Hospital Birth Check List)
3. Email OHB@ochca.com or fax (714) 480-6656 all items on the Out of Hospital Birth Checklist to our office
4. Make an appointment by calling (714) 480-6707 or emailing OHB@ochca.com .
5. Bring all items listed on the Out of Hospital Birth Checklist to the appointment. If you do not have all documentation, our office will not be able to register the birth.