HIV/STD Testing Services
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all individuals between 13 to 64 years of age be screened for HIV at least once as part of routine health care. For those at high risk of HIV, the CDC recommends testing at least once per year as part of routine health care.
Anonymous and Confidential HIV Testing services are available to inform individuals about their HIV status. For a list of HIV testing sites funded or supported by the County of Orange, please see below. Please contact an agency listed below for testing hours and additional information, including cost for testing.
*This location also offers STD screening.
HIV/STD Prevention Services
There are several prevention services in Orange County that provide:
- HIV education
- Opportunities to build positive social connections/peer support
- Risk reduction techniques
- Free or low cost STD testing and information
- Access to clean syringes
- Assistance disclosing HIV-exposure to sex or needle sharing partners
Prevention programs for HIV-negative individuals:
- MPowerment: A community level intervention for young gay and bisexual men to reduce sex risk taking, engage in regular HIV testing, build positive social connections, and support peers in safe sex activities.
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP): Medication to prevent HIV for individuals who are HIV-negative. For more information, call (714) 834-PrEP (7737).
Prevention programs for HIV-positive individuals:
- Healthy Relationships (HR): A small group, five-session intervention for persons living with HIV to increase skills and build self-efficacy about new risk reducing behaviors.
- Partner Services (PS): PS is a free, voluntary, and confidential (anonymous) service that can help let an individual's sex and/or needle sharing partner(s) know they have been exposed o HIV/AIDS. PS can be done three ways:
- The Health Department can notify the individual's partner(s) for them anonymously;
- The individual can get coaching to tell their partner(s) themselves; or
- The individual can have a trained counselor present to support them while having the conversation with their partner(s);
For more information or help with PS, call (714) 834-7748.
Information About Safely Using Sharps:
Page Last Updated: July 29, 2021